Sunday, March 7, 2010

Banu Kabob and Vodka bar












































So for a friend's birthday festivities yesterday we found ourselves at
Banu on Queen Street. This is an Iranian restaurant with a queen west-y feel... You know trendy, sleek etc. It was my first time trying Persian food, although it is very similar to many things I have had. They had some crazy vodka martinis and the food was fresh and very good. The food wasn't cheap but everything was organic, super-fresh and it was a fun sharing experience so was worth it.

We had:

Chai - this was with saffron and cardamom... Very different from Indian Chai with more delicate flavours. It was served with a small dish of cookies. They were great with cardamom and spicy flavours, yum!

Martinis - I had a cucumber, mint and basil martini. It was fresh and delicious but again very delicate. Don't expect your average bold martini. You can tell that they used high quality ingredients and at $13 they should! Others at our table tried martinis with
pomegranate, sour cherry and even saffron all with that same fresh delicate flavour. We all had a sip of each others and I think we all agreed that the one with the cucumber was the best.

Nan o Paneer - barbari sesame bread with sheep’s milk cheese, walnuts, and fresh herbs
- This was delicious! The cheese was very creamy not overly flavourful but it was very good. It came with sour cherry preserves which were amazing with the cheese... In fact, I will buy some to go with my cheese platters in future.


Zeitun Parvardeh
- green kalamata Olives mixed with pomegranate molasses, anjelica, garlic, and ground walnut
- Although others at the table loved this, I was not a fan. The sweetness and strange spice combined with the salty green olives was just too much for me. I'd pass next time.


Laboo - oven roasted beets on a bed of endive and sheep's milk cheese
- Good but not amazing. It tasted like beets.


Koobideh - 2 skewers of minced ground sirloin
- Amazing! This was tender and flavourful, my favourite dish of the night. All of the meats came on a share plate with a thin nan (like roti).

Torsh - pomegranate molasses and walnut crusted beef tenderloin
- We ordered this medium and it was perfect. Again, you could taste the quality. Everyone loved this. I again, wasn't sure about the overwhelming sweetness... but don't listen to me, I was alone! I did enjoy it but not as much at the Koobideh.

Murgh - grilled saffron citrus chicken breast .
- This was fantastic. Very fragrant and cooked perfectly

Everything came with fresh herbs mainly basil and tarragon. It was all fresh, flavourful and tasty.

There were 5 of us,we were all satisfied and the bill came to $185... just over $200 with tip. Would I go again? It was a fun place to try and go as a group but I don't see myself becoming a regular. My rating: Fun!


Banu on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hi ,

    Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/10/130441/restaurant/Downtown-University-of-Toronto/Beerbistro-Toronto
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/10/130391/restaurant/Queen-West/Banu-Toronto

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/10/7147/Toronto/delicious.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete